4 egg whites
225g caster sugar
1 teaspoon cornflour
1 teaspoon lemon juice or white wine vinegar
1 lemon, zested
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
300ml whipping cream
Berries: raspberries, strawberries, or blackberries or a mixture
1 tablespoon icing sugar
1) Heat the oven to 180celcius. Cover a baking sheet with baking parchment.
2) Whisk the egg whites with electric beaters until they just form stiff and shiny peaks. Gradually add the sugar a couple of tablespoons at a time and whisk really well between each addition.
3) When all of the sugar is used up continue whisking for 3-4 minutes or until the meringue is stiff and glossy and stands up in peaks, then whisk in the cornflour and lemon juice/vinegar.
4) Spoon the mixture onto the baking parchment and use a palette knife to make a circle (depends on you how big you want your pavlova to turn out!).
5) Put in the oven, turn the temperature down to 120celcius and cook for 1hour 45minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the meringue inside until completely cold, around 4-6 hours or overnight.
6) Carefully peel off the baking parchment and put the pavlova on a serving dish.
7) Mix the vanilla essence into a mixing bowl, add the whipping cream and lemon zest and softly whip, then spoon onto the pavlova.
8) Mix the berries, spoon the fruit on top of the cream, dust with a little icing sugar and serve.